
Ashlee and I are 1-week away from venturing out on our 60-mile trek through Atlanta for the Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure! I think we are both excited and nervous about what awaits us on this journey. Today I started fretting that I was overly prepared with my gear...why that would be a bad thing I do not know but I wasted a good 30 minutes today worrying about it!
Our team shirts hold the names of 30 women we know who have been affected by breast cancer. Now that the shirts are printed I keep thinking of others who I forgot to add to the back of the shirt. A sad, sad fact. Everytime I start worrying about the fact that we are 2 old ladies camping and that I am not allowed to bring my hair dryer with me which means I will most likely have a huge fro by the end of this walk I think about our fabulous friend Kristi who spent 2010 fighting this horrible disease and she was our motivation to get out there and get walking. That thought helps me remember that the experience and the cause itself will be what I have to take away from this event NOT good pictures of me having a good hair day in my pink get-up!
Getting to this point has been a very rewarding experience in itself. The training and fundrasing has kept this cause top of mind and heart all year. I was walking the other day listening to the fabulous Martina McBride (who we totally ripped off for our team name.) and it hit me that getting to the place where you have collected enough in donations means you have some pretty special people in your life. The help and support of family, friends, strangers and co-workers has given me this opportunity to participate in this amazing event! In closing the team of 2 that make up THIS ONE'S FOR THE GIRLS SAY THANK YOU for all the cheers, support and donations! 60 miles and camping...here we come!

No comments:
Post a Comment