Friday, June 18, 2010

Squamos Cell Carcinoma


So I have been pigmentally challenged my whole life. I guess you are or you aren't when it comes to that...To add to the lack of melanin in my skin I also have the red hair and freckles that accompany being high risk for skin cancer...but of course somehow it is still a shock now to be told that I have a skin cancer that I have to have surgery to remove. Not major surgery, of course...but any surgery is major to me. We have decided not to tell Bennett what is going on. I feel bad because when I go to get it removed on the 30th of the month I will come home with stitches. We originally thought the spot was a cyst and we have decided to stick with that story. Bennett has a touch of anxiety and Mark and I decided this wouldn't help ease him mind...


The type of skin cancer I have is called a squamos cell carcinoma. It is non-melonoma which I think means it doesn't spread to my organs or anything like that but only to my skin. It is very common and they will be using the mohs method to make sure they get it all during the minor surgery. Basically mohs method means, they cut, they check to make sure it is a clean cut...if it isn't clean, they cut some more.


So that is the news from the Lanier house at the moment. I will keep you posted if there is anything more to report.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am sorry to read this. However, I am glad that it is being taken care of right away. Surgery is surgery - minor or not. Know that I will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending good thoughts your way. Post an update or send me an email letting me know how everything went and that you are doing well.
Hugs....Kristi